A shallow magnitude 5.5 earthquake was reported 7.46 miles south-southeast of Volcano, Hawaii, near Chain of Craters Rd, Pāhoa, HI 96778, USA at a depth of 5.9 km, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. An earthquake of this magnitude is considered to be moderate.
It struck at Mar 13, 2019 at 10:55:13 AM UTC. USGS alert level for this quake is ‘green’ which mean an estimate of zero fatalities and less than $1 million in losses. USGS reports that this quake event was manually reviewed.
232 people have reported they felt this temblor via the USGS website.
Map showing center of Earthquake
Exposure map for Earthquake Magnitude 5.5 12km SSE of Volcano, Hawaii at Mar 13, 2019.
The roman numerals on the map reference the so called ‘Modified Mercalli Intensity’ level, shown here for reference with abbreviated descriptions:
- Not felt except by a very few under especially favorable conditions.
- Felt only by a few persons at rest, especially on upper floors of buildings. Delicately suspended objects may swing.
- Felt quite noticeably by persons indoors, especially on upper floors of buildings. Many people do not recognize it as an earthquake. Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Vibration similar to the passing of a truck. Duration estimated.
- Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably.
- Felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. some dishes, windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop.
- Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.
- Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.
- Damage slight in specially designed structures; considerable damage in ordinary substantial buildings with partial collapse. Damage great in poorly built structures. Fall of chmineys, factory stacks, columns, monuments, walls. Heavy furniture overturned.
- Damage considerable in specially designed structures; well-designed frame structures thrown out of plumb. Damage great in substantial buildings, with partial collapse. Buildings shifted off foundations.
- Some well-built wooden structures destroyed; most masonry and frame structures destroyed with foundations. Rail bent.
- Few, if any (masonry) structures remain standing. Bridges destroyed. Rails bent greatly.
For updates on this quake, please visit the USGS Event Page.
This tremor was located near Keauhou Trail and Kealakomo. Did you feel it? Let us know in the comments.